Zack Evans and Julie Stuber's Perfect Weekend in Denton, TX
If you have a propensity for antics and shenanigans, we have the spots for you!
You’ve seen the spotlight in The Onion, now it’s time to experience these pretty fun spots for yourself! Zack and Julie break down their perfect weekend stops in Denton.
Best Places to Shout Movie References
With a town whose screen credits include "The Apostle", "Armageddon", "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", and "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," you'll have every opportunity to share movie references around town.
Zack likes to watch movies at the Movie Tavern, and then heads over to Recycled Books, Records, & CDs to browse their collection of wide release movies, independent films and cult classics for those more obscure references. On Wednesdays he swings by Armadillo Ale Works for trivia night to unleash all his movie knowledge while drinking a craft beer. Zack is currently in seventh place.
Best Places to Order Margaritas
If there's one thing Julie Stuber loves, it's ordering the perfect margarita. Her can't miss stops include the Greenhouse Restaurant, 940s Kitchen & Cocktails, Miss Angeline's, and Harvest House. But her most favorite place is Milpa Kitchen & Cantina because they have over 100 margaritas. Julie has a personal goal to order all 100 by summer's end.
Best Places to Sing Karaoke
Denton IS a music town. That's what first drew Zack and Julie to the area. And the many options of karaoke around the city give them both the opportunity to really get down. They spend Tuesday's at The Loophole Gastropub & Ale House, Wednesday's at Red's Yard, and Thursday's at Game Changers. They are especially excited for the Karaoke Cruiser to make its debut later this summer.
More Places for Antics and Shenanigans
- Visit the Square: Denton’s Downtown Square is the social, artistic, and cultural hub of Denton. Shops, restaurants, bars, event venues, and more line the streets and invite visitors to take part in the vibrant environment. Historic architecture has been preserved or restored, with most of the area holding a place on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Get competitive: Denton offers great places to test your skills and wit if you’re looking for some healthy competition. Give axe throwing a try at Ironwood Axe Throwing or The Horse’s Axe, go bowling and play arcade games at Andy B’s, take aim with a Nerf war on 10,000 square feet of space at The Battlefield, or simply grab a table and some board games at Denton County Brewing Company. No matter what your speed, Denton has family fun activities for all ages.
- Experience arts and culture: Denton hosts three collegiate campuses, the University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University, and North Central Texas College, and we’ve earned a reputation as a progressive-thinking, diverse, and culturally vibrant center in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Go on a cultural exploration through visual arts galleries, like the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center or UNT CoLab, catch a live music performance at one of our venues, or tour a historical site.
- Dine at one of Denton’s unique restaurants: Whether you’re looking for a date-night or a casual place to unwind, Denton offers great food and exceptional service. Looking for something that will appeal to all tastes? We suggest grabbing a bite at GreenHouse Restaurant, Chestnut Tree Bistro, or Cartwright’s Ranch House. If you want something a little more upscale, might we suggest making reservations at Hannah’s Off The Square or Queenie’s Steakhouse.
- Take a Craft Beer Tour of Denton: Denton's craft beer scene is growing at an exponential rate. Downtown Denton is home to breweries and bars serving up some of the best and most unique brews you can find in Texas. Throughout the city, you'll find restaurants, convenience stores, and bars with taps and bottles of hard-to-find and limited edition beers.