High School Graduation Weekend Activities in Denton
What to see and do with your family during graduation weekend
You’ve put in the work, and now it’s time to enjoy this special occasion with family and friends! Make the most of commencement weekend with these ideas on how to entertain your out-of-town guests.
Memorable Experiences for You and Your Family
- Visit the Square: Denton’s Downtown Square is the social, artistic, and cultural hub of Denton. Shops, restaurants, bars, event venues, and more line the streets and invite visitors to take part in the vibrant environment. Historic architecture has been preserved or restored, with most of the area holding a place on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Get competitive: Denton offers great places to test your skills and wit if you’re looking for some healthy competition. Give axe throwing a try at Ironwood Axe Throwing or The Horse’s Axe, go bowling and play arcade games at Andy B’s, take aim with a Nerf war on 10,000 square feet of space at The Battlefield, or simply grab a table and some board games at Armadillo Ale Works. No matter what your speed, Denton has family fun activities for all ages.
- Experience arts and culture: Denton hosts three collegiate campuses, the University of North Texas, Texas Woman's University, and North Central Texas College, and we’ve earned a reputation as a progressive-thinking, diverse, and culturally vibrant center in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Take your family on a cultural exploration through visual arts galleries, like the Patterson-Appleton Arts Center or UNT CoLab, catch a live music performance at one of our venues, or tour a historical site.
- Dine at one of Denton’s unique restaurants: Whether you’re looking for a special celebratory meal or a casual place to unwind, Denton offers great food and exceptional service. Looking for something that will appeal to all tastes? We suggest grabbing a bite at GreenHouse Restaurant, Chestnut Tree Bistro, or Cartwright’s Ranch House. If you want something a little more upscale, might we suggest making reservations at Hannah’s Off The Square or Queenie’s Steakhouse. If you’re dining with a larger party, we advise checking with our local establishments to ensure they can accommodate everyone.
Cap and Gown Photo Locations
Grab your camera and your friends and family and consider these picturesque spots to commemorate your graduation day:
· On campus: Stop for photos in front of your school's buildings, signs, and hidden spots where you spent most of your time during school
· Lil’ d Sign outside of Oak Street Drafthouse: This large, interactive sign make you the “i” in Lil’ d, the affectionate name was given to the city of Denton
· The Chairy Orchard: Tucked away in one of Denton’s neighborhoods, the Chairy Orchard is a passion project by two local ladies. This unique park-slash-art-installation makes for a unique backdrop for cap and gown photos
· The purple door: A couple of blocks off the Square, near two of Dan Blacks’ murals, is the mysterious purple door. This door is a favorite of local photogs and is a truly “Denton” photo op
· One of Denton’s many murals: Denton has dozens of beautiful murals throughout the city, find your favorite on our mural map and use this for your next photoshoot
Are you a student or parent looking for information and details regarding commencement? Visit the Denton ISD ceremonies website.