Strings of street lights
Even stop lights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush home with their treasures…
That time of year has come…what do I get that one aunt that I only see once a year? How do I decide on just one (or two or three) things to get my best friend or significant other?
Personally, I love to find really unique gifts that my friends and loved ones can’t get where they live. (That’s why my aunt has a bourbon bottle painted like Santa Claus, from my years when I lived in Kentucky.) And when you’re in a town that boasts as many local makers as Denton does, there’s no reason to NOT shop local this holiday season, all while supporting neighbors and close friends.
Here are my favorite Denton spots to find locally-created goodies this holiday season (or anytime, really). These places are also participating during the Holiday Open House, November 14-15, which offers everyone a chance to get a jump on their shopping this year.
- The DIME Store – DIME stands for Denton Independent Maker Exchange, and offers works from more than 40 local crafters. While the inventory varies depending on supplies from the makers, you can generally find body products, handbags (including ones that are designed with Texas/Denton designs!), cute jewelry, awesome art prints and T-shirts.
- Garden Gate, Vintage Bleu, Serendipity on the Square – At these unique shops, you can not only buy awesome gifts for your list, but you can also get things to decorate your home, from furniture to trinkets, to make it holiday-ready for hosting any gatherings.
- Recycled Books – If your to-buy-for list is anything like mine, you have at least a few voracious readers on your list for whom to buy. Instead of scouring Amazon or Barnes and Noble for their wishlist, head to this spot on the Square and buy them a well-loved copy instead! There are so many nooks and crannies in this space that you are destined to be able to knock out several gifts for a fraction of the price of buying new.
- La Di Da/Shoe Fly, Texas Turquoise Boutique, Palm Tree Boutique – want to find someone a unique outfit or accessory? Any of these places are sure to provide you with some finds. For that person on your list who is more vintage than everyone else, check out Circa77 for those yesteryear fashions that never go out of style.
- When you just can’t find that perfect gift for someone, just make it yourself! Take a class at A Creative Art STUDIO and make an awesome homemade art piece to be treasured, or discover great materials at SCRAP Denton that you can turn into a cherished gift.
Don’t forget: shopping works up quite the appetite. There’s several different satisfying cuisines offered as part of Holiday Open House, including:
- Deli sandwiches (Chestnut Tree)
- Comfort food (Muddy Jake’s, Abbey Inn, Cartwright’s, Dusty’s, Queenie’s Steakhouse, Sweetwater Grill)
- BBQ (Bet the House BBQ, Big Fatty’s)
- Asian cuisine (Andaman Thai)
- Tacos (Flatlanders)
- Pizza (J&J’s Pizza, Mellow Mushroom, Pizza Snob)
- Sweets (Atomic Candy, Beth Marie’s, Hypnotic Donuts, The Candy Store)
- Adult beverages (Paschall Bar, East Side, Oak Street Drafthouse, Harvest House, Loophole, Mulberry Street Cantina, Service Industry, Wine Squared)