Ruben Perez is the Director of Sales & Services for Discover Denton. He is responsible for promoting the city’s travel and meeting opportunities to buyers nationwide. This role includes developing and implementing strategies, fostering industry relationships and engagement, providing service experience, and increasing brand awareness. His goal is to deliver measurable successes that positively impact the Denton economy through tourism, meetings, conventions, and events. He is an active member of the SITE Texas and MPI-DFW community.
Prior to joining Discover Denton, Perez served as the Executive Vice President at Lamont Associates, a site selection and meeting planning firm based in Southlake, Texas. Leading up to that role, Ruben spent six years with VisitDallas, holding leadership positions such as Director of Convention Sales, Senior Director of Sales, and Vice President of Sales. During that time, he led the sales team to achieving record-breaking years across all metrics. Before joining VisitDallas, Perez held sales leadership roles with Starwood Hotels and Resorts at properties throughout Dallas. He held similar positions in the Starwood Global Sales Organization where he was consistently recognized with sales awards.
Ruben Perez is a native New Yorker, but has lived in Denton County since 2004. He enjoys quality time with his family, playing golf, smoking cigars, and travelling. He is also a die-hard 80’s rock enthusiast!
- How did you come to work at Discover Denton? I came to Denton with my then CEO and business partner to meet with the new Director of Sales & Services at the Embassy Suites Denton Convention Center, as well as with the new Vice President at Discover Denton. After touring the hotel and convention center, they took us to an off-site venue for a private lunch. Well, that private lunch ended up being at Denton County Brewing Co. with the hotel’s executive chef. They created an experience that left me wondering why I didn’t know about the cool and hip vibe that Denton has! The Vice President, Mike Pistana, mentioned he had an opening Director of Sales position and I knew I could do this job and position us as a great destination for meetings and conventions. I applied and met with Mike again. The rest is history.
- What do you like most about working in the events and professional meetings industry? I love attending big meetings and talking business with people face-to-face. There’s something magical about the way in-person networking events and trade shows build relationships that convert into business opportunities and evolve into amazing business relationships, and even friendships. I also love to curate experiences that allow meeting and event planners to see a destination from a different perspective that leaves them surprised and delighted.
- What do you love about Denton? I love the diversity in food, people, hotels, culture and music. Whatever you’re into, we have something for you in Denton.
- Why should meeting and event planners consider Denton for their future business events? Because of the quality and value of the overall package that convention attendees will experience when they come to Denton. We have our award-winning AAA Four-Diamond and LEED Gold Certified Embassy Suites Denton Convention Center. We have a multitude of unique culinary destinations. We have incredible off-site event venues, local attractions, and a robust live music scene. Denton, TX should be on every meeting and event planner’s radar.
- What are your favorite stops for a night out in Denton? To experience Denton the right way, you need to plan several stops throughout the evening. Here are two of my favorite itineraries. Appetizers and margarita flights at LSA Burger Rooftop, then walk over to Barley & Board for dinner. Afterwards, head down the street for dessert and beer pairing at Denton County Brewing Co. Then, finally, walk next door for a nightcap at Miss Angeline’s. The other itinerary is this: Steve’s Wine Bar with live jazz performance first. Then walk over to Komodo Loco for dinner. Follow that up the street to Barley & Board for dessert, and then cross the street and enter Paschall Bar (Denton’s only speakeasy lounge) for some traditional and original hand-crafted cocktails.
To learn more about how Ruben Perez can help you find the perfect location for your future events, get in touch with him now.